Sunday, July 6, 2008

Antiquing and Eating in Birmingham, AL

Last Thursday, Kelli, Cooper, my husband and I traveled to Birmingham, Al. for a doctor's appointment. I wanted to eat downtown and antique shop after the appointment, but they wanted to go to Cheesecake Factory. So...guess you can tell where we ended up. These pics are of Cooper getting a bite of whipped cream on a dessert we all shared! I think he likes it! These pics really are worth a 1,000 words. After lunch we were in the area of Cahaba Heights, so we found an antique shop, Treasures, that I read about on Rhoda's blog, Southern Hospitality. It was so easy to find, and Kelli and I really enjoyed browsing the shop. Of course the birdhouses caught my eye....since I'm a retired teacher I especially liked this one that said 'School of Fish.'

Here is a desk painted black. I don't have room for much else except in our bonus room above the garage. I haven't done much with it yet....black is a possibility.
I loved this green cabinet! It is very close to the same color as the green on my porch...or another possible choice for furniture in the bonus room. This old hall tree caught my eye. I've been on the lookout for a hall tree! I do have room for one of these...if I move something. I've never seen one painted like this. And finally another green chest. The shop was great, and there were others in the area...we just didn't have much time.
One of the owners was in the shop that day, and was so friendly. She told us that they had someone who bought and painted most of the furniture for them. Apparently there is a real market for this old painted furniture. I sure got some ideas for furniture for the bonus room. I wish we had more shops around here like this one. We really enjoyed the shop and the day in Birmingham. I wouldn't have known about this shop or had my camera if I hadn't started blogging. The only disadvantage to shopping in Birmingham is the traffic. We got caught in the 5:00 pm traffic and it took us forever to go about 2 miles! And as always, we were glad to finally get home.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Diane, I loved the pics of the baby. I have a brand new step grandson. My son's fiancee's daughter just gave birth again. My family will increase in size after the wedding coming up. They already are part of our family. Thanks for your comment on the wedding plans. We are very excited and happy.

Now for the Antique shop visit. I love it all. The hall tree is amazing. I never thought I would like painted furniture, but I do.

Have a happy Sunday.

Jeanne

Lori said...

Thanks for Stopping by on Pink Saturday! I too love antiques. I wish they could talk.

Dawn said...

Yum, cheese cake! I could enjoy some of that!!!

What a nice shop you found. I love that you brought your camera! It was fun to fee what you saw!!

Oh, I know about traffic! The fourth of July on an overcast day on Cape Cod is the same as a traffic jam!!!!!

Have a good day.

take care,
Dawn

Jean said...

Diane, Your pictures of Cooper are adorable! Love the antique store shots. Love all that painted furniture but I don't have any more room either. Thanks for visiting my blog and all your nice comments. Jean

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to like painted furniture as well. I would have to buy it that way though. I'm not daring enough to paint something I already have. Well, maybe something black. Anyway, I wish they had more antique shops where I live. That baby is ADORABLE!

Brandee :-)

PAT said...

Good morning, Diane!

That sweet baby is so cute!

I've wanted to antique shop in B'ham for the longest time! I love that hall tree.

Have a wonderful week!
Pat

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Diane!

Cooper could be a model -- he's so adorableand photographs so well!

I love that antique shop and all the furniture you showed. I also wish there was a place like that near me! Rents are so high here that unfortunately those objects would be sky high in price. One of my friends has great luck finding nice things on "Craig's list" but I am reluctant to go to people's houses and apartments like she does.

I love that hall tree! I say it's worth battling the traffic to go back and buy that! :-)

Hugs, Pat

Kelli said...

Aww...Cooper is adorable! It looks like everyone had a fun time. The girls and I went antiquing yesterday. :0)
~Kelli

Cami said...

That is one cute face! And I am a big fan of painted furniture. I do a lot of befores and afters and then off to my shop they go.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Sweet baby looks like he is really enjoying that cheesecake. That picture is priceless.
I love browsing in antique shops, it stirs up lots of memories & you never know what you'll find.
Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

Your little Cooper is just adorable. Isn't being a grandmother the best?

My family likes Cheesecake Factory, too. I think my mother could eat cheesecake every day.

I'm glad you got in some time for antiquing. That is always fun.

Joanne Kennedy said...

Yum! Cheesecake Factory is a great place. I have not been there for awhile.

That shop has lots of great things. I love the bird houses too! Very cute.

Hugs,
Joanne

Mya said...

What a cutie love the little teeth. I love the halltree but all the painted pieces look like keepers to me. Thanks for sharing your trip.
xo-mya

Anonymous said...

Good morning,this is very nice blog.Nice photography's and the words .That baby is so beautiful.

ArtPropelled said...

Lovely interesting photographs. Blogging has certainly stirred up my interest in photography. I only ever took photos at weddings and family celebrations but now I am seeing the small things and loving the beauty I'm discovering.
BTW, I love your glorious banner. It puts me in a good mood before I even start reading your posts.