Saturday, April 25, 2009

Do you worry?

I have to confess, that sometimes I worry. This week I received an email from a friend that said “ An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.” That makes sense doesn’t it??

This is the chorus to one of my favorite hymns:

Here’s the background information about the song:

Mrs. William Stillman Martin had experienced the protecting hand of the Lord during an illness. The incident was so precious to her that she wrote the song, “God Will Take Care of You.”

Once she visited a friend, and related her story and hoping in some way to help relieve the friend’s depressed state. After hearing the story, the friend said, “You know, I shouldn’t worry, should I? We are promised in the Bible that God watches over the little sparrows.”

They then had a little time of rejoicing over God’s wonderful watchful care and protection. When she arrived home, Mrs. Martin sat down and penned this song.

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

Knowing that God’s eye is on the sparrow is a comfort to me!

Hope you have a blessed and restful Sunday!

Diane

10 comments:

Becky said...

That is one of my all time favorite hymns.

SmilingSally said...

I admit that I worry. Funny too, because Matthew 6:25 is one of my favorite verses!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I try not to worry, but there are times when I do. And I also love this song. I love Larnelle Harris' version of it.

XO,

Sheila

Unknown said...

God bless you. I really needed that this morning. Thank you for sharing.

Charla

Southern Lady said...

I, too, am a worrier (I guess everyone is at times)...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful old hymn, Diane.

Patti VZ said...

Nice post! It is always so interesting to read the story behind those hymns - a lot going on in their lives too!

Brenda Kula said...

I am a worrier. But I've learned in my fifties that I have to curtail that habit or waste time today. I go out in the garden and take photos and smell the delights and watch nature buzz and fly around me. Soon my heart rate slows and I realize my body has relaxed. It does wonders.
Brenda

jeanne said...

Hi diane, I know we worry over things we can't control and things that may never happen. we need to trust God and give our worries to God.

I love the story about the song on your post It is one of my favorites and it is great to know the story behind the words. Thank you for sharing this.

Hugs...Jeanne

Christina said...

Wonderful post. I love the old hymns and the messages in them.

Nancy said...

Know the words, and can hear the tune, from my days at church and college. Great hymn, great message.