Friday, May 1, 2009

Catfish Row Art Park and PINK!

Beverly at How Sweet the Sound is hosting Pink Saturday. Please visit her for a list of friendly bloggers that love the color pink!

Recently, I traveled with our church to Vicksburg, MS for a riverboat cruise down the Mississippi. After we left the boat we walked to the hill overlooking the river and found the Catfish Row Art Park. I thought the park was delightful…and it was full of PINK!

Here are some pics of things that caught my eye.

This pink platform is on a bluff-from there you can see the river.IMG_0692

Pretty pink poles were scattered throughout the park, which added to the artsy affect.

IMG_0690 Here’s a group of fountains in the center-even though it was not really hot that day, kids were getting under the fountains! I couldn’t help but think how much fun it would be to cool off on a July or August day! I wished Connor and Cooper had been with me-bet they would have loved this park.

IMG_0682

Art work featuring scenes from Vicksburg was displayed on a wall.IMG_0687

Apparently one of the first shots of the Civil War was fired from this bluff. Our tour guide on our boat told us that it was many years before the people of Vicksburg celebrated the 4th of July. IMG_0684

This is one of the monuments from the Vicksburg National Military Park. It is a beautiful park and worth the trip to Vicksburg just to see.

From their website:

The National Military Park commemorates the campaign, siege, and defense of Vicksburg. The city’s surrender on July 4, 1863, coupled with the fall of Port Hudson, LA, split the South, giving undisputed control of the Mississippi River to the North. Over 1,330 monuments, a restored Union gunboat, and National Cemetery mark the 16-mile tour road.

IMG_0676 And finally---here’s a picture of the mighty, muddy Mississippi! Our boat cruise was about 2 hours long. We had a great tour guide and he offered lots of information about Vicksburg and the river.

IMG_0674

Kudos to the residents of Vicksburg for funding and building this delightful park! I think it speaks very well of the residents of this Mississippi community.

More info about the park from the website:

The Junior Auxiliary of Vicksburg, MS is excited about a community project that is taking place right now in Vicksburg. Through a "grassroots" effort, the citizens of Vicksburg are joining hands to provide a state-of-the-art playground, not only for the children of Vicksburg, but for children throughout the area. What makes this project unique is that the playground is designed by the children, and the entire community will help with the fundraising and supply the labor to build the playground in only five days during the week of April 2-6, 2008!

The overall cost for the playground is $180,000. A community project, such as the Playground at Catfish Row, is a once in a lifetime investment that will not only produce an outstanding place where our children can grow and play, but it offers a tangible model for community involvement, service, cooperation, and leadership that will leave a lasting impact for the rest of their lives.

The Junior Auxiliary of Vicksburg would like to invite you to join with us in supporting this project with a tax-deductible donation and/or volunteer the five build days. There will be a permanent plaque at the playground to recognize component buyers and contributions for $1,000 or more.

Thanks for dropping by, and hope you have a wonderful PINK Saturday.

33 comments:

xinex said...

Oh Diane, you should have come to visit me too. We are only 1 and 1/2hr. drive away from Vicksburg. Isn't it a charming town? They have a doll museum there that I enjoy visiting. Lov your pictures...Christine

Susie Mitchell said...

Hi Diane! Looks like a wonderful place to visit...thanks for taking us along. You know you'll have to be prepared...if you take those 2 boys there...they'll insist on you getting in that fountain with them!
Always enjoy your posts.
Make this weekend one to remember.
Blessings, Susie

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this. My grandchildren would love that park and I would love it too.

Charla

~CC Catherine said...

Your Pink Share is great and unusual today! Love it! ;) I wanted to also invite you over to my place to put your name in the hat for a great Blog Give Away I'm doing. It's open till Mother's Day, midnight PDT. Have a super weekend! ~CC Catherine from "Catherine de th`e Cup"

Tara said...

I've always wanted to go down the Mississippi on a riverboat, it seems like such fun. Pretend to be Tom Sawyer, only more upscale, I don't think I could handle a raft, LOL!

Happy Pink Saturday and enjoy the weekend!

Marie Reed said...

Is it strange that I'm craving fried catfish for breakfast now? Happy Pink Saturday:)

susan said...

Diane--Vicksburg is my old hometown--I certainly did not know about the pink platform! I grew up riding bikes and playing in the military park. I don't get back much, but love all the history of it! Thanks for my little walk down memory lane!

Southern Lady said...

Great post, Diane. I would love to take the cruise and get some pictures of Vicksburg from the river, but boats and I don't get along very well. It might be worth being a little "seasick," though, because I bet the views from the river are awesome.

Nancy said...

Lovely trip. I enjoyed it much. Happy PS!

SmilingSally said...

Another wonderful trip you've shared with me! Happy Pink Saturday. Check out my book giveaways!

Barbara said...

Hi Dianne, Isn't Vicksburg a beautiful town, your pictures were great. My daughter lives in Summit, Ms. Don't know if you are close to there.
Come by and see me.

Happy Pink Saturday.

Nola said...

I've visited Vicksburg, it's a lovely town brimming with old southern charm.

Char said...

When we all get together and make up our minds to do something wonderful, we can! There is lots of power in that. The mighty Mississippi is alive and doing great. Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Diane, you have really been traveling lately! This does look like a wonderful park-so unique and so many things to see. What a great idea for a church group trip. Thanks for sharing it. laurie

Julie said...

What a neat place to explore. The pictures are so wonderful...Have a wonderful PINK day..Julie

♥Mimi♥ said...

Wonderful post for this l♥vely Pink Saturday. This is one morning of the week that I sit back, stroll from blog to blog and indulge myself surrounded by my favorite color.

I wish you a blessed weekend filled with sunshine and surrounded by those you l♥ve.

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

Loved the pictures and the tour! That is such a great part of our country!
HAPPY PINK SATURDAY!
Jil

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Diane,
Thanks for the tour! Lots of pink and great information. Happy Pink Saturday!

Blessings,
Sandi

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Lovely post, those pink poles are so neat.
Happy Pink Saturday!!!
♥ Teresa

Chandy said...

Love your pink post today! Those poles are great!

Thanks for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday!

suesueb said...

i've been to visit vicksburg but never heard of catfish row-now i'd love to go! your pictures are so inviting!! thanks for sharing and happy pink week!

Mary said...

Enjoyed your pink tour! Happy Pink Saturday. Mary

Loretta said...

What a neat park. I really, really love your blog header; it's sooo pretty!

RobinfromCA said...

What a fun park! I would love to take a ride down the Mississippi River on a big paddle boat. It sounds so romantic!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Robin@Miscellaneous Thoughts

The Teacup Cottage said...

What a beautiful post. So pretty and PINK! I love exploring new places. Have a great Pink Saturday!

KatCollects said...

Beautiful park, thank you for sharing it with us. Happy Pink Saturday.
Kathy

HiHo said...

loved my visit to your blog.The New Orleans post and this post both share your joy of the day with all that view them. thanks for sharing and happy pink. heidi

Just Me said...

I took that trip many years ago when I lived in Mississippi. Brought back many memories. Happy Pink Sat.!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi! Loved the park and all the pink! Happy Pink Saturday, and hope you had a great weekend!

Bernice the Housewife said...

Hi, Diane! That was an interesting post for Pink Saturday! Have a good week!

Claudia said...

You found a lot of pink in the park! Happy Pink Saturday!

nikkicrumpet said...

It was fun coming along with you and seeing the beautiful park! There was some very interesting art/sculpture! And I love how they used the bright colors.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Vicksburg looks like a nice place to visiit. I found the Mississippi River so mighty and powerful --it is an amzing river!