Sunday, May 17, 2009

Changes in teaching Math

I just got this from a friend…and thought I would share it with my blogging friends:

Fifty Years of Math 1957 - 2007 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King

for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was

digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from

my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there,

holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking

at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort

and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but

she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to

explain the transaction to her, she stood there and

cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution

in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s


A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.

What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s


A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80.

What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s


A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.

His cost of production is $80.

Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s


A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.

His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.

Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5.. Teaching Math In 1990s


A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is

selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the

habitat of animals or the preservation of our

woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of

$20. What do you think of this way of making a

living? Topic for class participation after answering

the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as

the logger cut down their homes? (There are no

wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009


Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara

$100. El costo de la producciones es $80.

Cuanto dinero ha hecho.

11 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

I love this! So true! And by the way, 1957 (which is the year at the top) was the year I was born. So I know just what you mean. Now you go to Walmart and scanners do everything. Poor people don't even have to think. Just move it across, beep ensues to let them know its done, and throw it in a plastic sack. Isn't this a sad state of affairs?
Brenda

Ann and Billy said...

This reminds me of when I was at Hardee's. My total was something like $6.80. I gave the girl a $10. She mistakenly entered $20 for the amount tendered. She stood there puzzled about how much change to give me and and then had to get out a pen and paper to figure it out. I kept telling her to just give me $10 less than the register amount but I don't think she believed me.

The Old Parsonage said...

We joke, but it's really a shame.

Enjoy your weekend!

said...

So timely!

Cindy said...

My goodness how true this is. I guess I never thought of it in this perspective. We are not giving out children the necessary skills to survive in this world. I will be posting a reference to this post on my blog. We need to do better for our children.
Thank you for sharing
Cindy

Linda said...

So so true...and the part of this that really disturbs me is #6. It's terrible here in CA. I feel like I'm living in Mexico.

Southern Lady said...

Good post, Diane ... but so sad because it's true.

Bo said...

Hi Diane...It's good to be back & thanks for your sweet comments. It is alarming how our world is changing...I often comment to my DH that it is good we are in our "golden years"... :-) Bo

Joanna said...

Dead on! And we wonder why America isn't the smartest country in the world today. It's really sad!

Darlene said...

Oh my gosh that is SOOOO true!!!

Nola said...

So true!!! It's funny, but it's also sad. I want to just reach out and pinch those kids when they can't even make change!!!