Monday, November 16, 2009

2nd Time Around: Old planters

Jackson 005

Welcome to 2nd Time Around. Please join us by linking a post that features something that is a 2nd Time Around to you…something from a garage sale, flea market, thrift store, estate sale, etc. Please link your post rather than your blog, and link back to this blog.

Since I’ve started shopping for my booth at the Antique Mall, I’ve really started going to lots more estate sales etc. And as would be expected, I often find things that I would really like to keep!

Recently I found these two cast iron vintage planters for $5.00 a piece at a sale! My son said they would bring a lot more than that at the Antique Mall!

We had beautiful weather here on Monday-temperature in the seventies-so I spent the day planting some pansies and ornamental cabbages in my pots in front of the porch.

The only thing I had to do to them was drill a few holes for drainage, fill with potting soil and plant! And the black and white is a perfect compliment to our house with white siding and black shutters!

IMG_2110 

I was lucky that there were 2 of them! You can also see in this picture an old fireplace grate that I’ve lined with a mat and planted. Sorry the sidewalk is so dirty-guess that means we’ll have to drag out the pressure washer!

IMG_2109

I ran out of pansies before I got to the pots on the back porch, but I did have a few that I tucked in among the impatiens in this old log planter. I moved my steps that were in the post for Halloween back to the back porch and love the added height that they give to this old planter!

IMG_2107 I’m glad I got all this done today, cause tomorrow it will be cloudy and in the fifties!

Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love those scrolly planters!! So very pretty!

We received snow on Sunday- 5th or 6th snow already so my flowers are long gone!

blessings
mary

bj said...

These are great, Diane...going to look so pretty come summertime.
Thanks for hosting!!

sunnymama said...

Your vintage planters look fantastic! What a great find. :)

cindy said...

Ah...you must have a climate for pansies this time of year....I had to say goodbye to my flowers for the year. The planters are gorgeous, and I do love that black and white contrast. Thanks for hosting :)

Tardevil said...

Very pretty! What a great find!

Barbara Jean said...

DIANE,
I LOVE THOSE PLANTERS!!

THANKS FOR HOSTING.
NICE TO BE BACK.

BLESSINGS

BARBARA JEAN

Candy said...

Great planters and so good to still see a little color as the cold winds are blowing in.
Terrific Tuesday ;-)

Little Lizard King said...

Those planters really are beautiful! Great find!

Anonymous said...

they are beautiful - 2nd time around items have some much more meaning as they bring with them rich memories.

Southern Lady said...

What a great buy, Diane. Your planters are so pretty, and I love that old fireplace grate!

You've inspired me to get my pansies planted. It's supposed to warm back up for the weekend, so perhaps I can get them done then.

Kifus said...

What a bargain for such lovely planters! Thanks for sharing!

jeanne said...

Good morning Diane. I love, love, love, those planters so much. Five dollars is such a deal. One thing is for sure, we do love to keep things we love. It is a struggle always. I know you are having fun with the 'hunt.' I miss that the most.

Happy hunting!

Hugs xoxo, Jeanne

Maggie said...

What a bargain you found and how pretty they look now.
Thanks for hosting today's get together.
Maggie

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

lucky you! great fnd, they look terrific!
thanks for having us over for a party!
gail

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Five bucks?! They're gorgeous...and they must weigh a TON!

I'm linking up with the pew...I have to say I'm so proud of Mike for this one. :-)

Diers Eve said...

Great idea!!!

Happy Tuesday :)
Val

Shelley said...

Adorable! Love the find. Thanks for hosting! :) Shelley@HowDoesShe

Cass @ That Old House said...

Lucky you, to still have flowers! Ours are shriveled husks by now. LOVE the iron planters -- great find. I am afraid I would want to keep everything if I started an antiques business. It must be so hard to sell something -- although I guess getting the payment makes the pain less hurtful! :-)
Good luck with your booth at the mall. What fun!
Cass

Jean Stockdale said...

What a great blog you have and I love 2nd Time Around. I do enjoy poking around "junk type" stores and looking for bargains. There is something very calming about it.

Have a great week. Blessings.

xinex said...

Oh those iron planters are gorgeous, Diane, and what a deal! I would be willing to pay a lot more for them....Christine

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Diane, those are SO neat! I think you got a steal, girl!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Diane

They are really pretty planters! That was a fantastic bargain. You always find the best things!

Thanks for joining in my blog give away!

Hugs, Pat