Monday, August 16, 2010

2nd Time Around: New Use for an Old Shelf

 Jackson 005

 

Welcome to 2nd Time Around. Please join us by linking a post that features something that is a 2nd Time Around to you…something from a garage sale, flea market, thrift store, estate sale, etc. Please link your post rather than your blog, and link back to this blog. Thank you for participating.

 

Have you ever bought something and wondered later “Why on earth did I buy that?'” Bet you have if you are a regular shopper of garage sales, flea markets etc. Recently I bought this shelf for $5.00 at a  yard sale.  I really don’t know what I was thinking when I bought it, but at the time it seemed like a good shelf for my cans of spray paint. Or maybe a shelf for paper back books at the flea market!  Well, the spaces between the shelves turned out to be too close together for spray paint, and I really don’t have or sell enough paper back books to justify taking up space for them.

IMG_6684

The shelf sat in my garage for nearly 2 months getting on everyone’s nerves until finally on Saturday while organizing the pantry I had a brainstorm!

The shelf is a perfect place to store canned goods! So, I used some light green paint from the paint stash and spruced it up. Now I can see at a glance what canned goods I have! If you look closely you can see that I have 3 cans of spaghetti sauce! No, I didn’t buy that many because they were on sale, I just didn’t realize I had that many because they kept getting pushed to the back of the shelf!

 IMG_6699

Anyway, I love the shelf in it’s new spot. It is not deep and had to have a brace put on it to secure it to the wall, but I’m happy with my new organized pantry! (At least the canned goods are organized!) LOL

IMG_6700

I would love to hear from you….tell me about something you bought and used for a different reason!

Thanks so much for dropping by!

13 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

well, i bought a trashcan and used it for a plant stand, does that count? lol, thanks for hosting!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good Evening Diane, girl I hope you on't mind that I hooked up this week with you...But a few things in my post I did get at flea markets ha ha!! Love what you did here and I have one almost like it sitting in my barn now I should redo it and give it new life also...Hope you have a GREAT week my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

The Charm of Home said...

Diane,
Love your old shelf. That is something we always could use around here. Thank you for hosting.
Sherry

Denise Marie said...

Diane, I buy stuff all the time and have plans and a lot of times plan B or C is what works out. Way to use that shelf. lol

Southern Lady said...

That was a brilliant idea, Diane. We have a pantry in our kitchen that has pull-out shelves, which you'd think is a great idea, but things get lost in them all the time. Shallow shelves are the best!

Jeanne said...

Good morning Diane, I would definitely pay $5. for a shelf like this. My small pantry would thank me. My family would thank me. I would thank me. HA!

I love what you did. It makes sense and storage is always a problem for cans. At this moment I have no idea what is hiding in the back of my deep pantry. Good and clever job.

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs, Jeanne

Denise Marie said...

tagging in a 2nd time today. :0)

Rhiannon said...

love your idea for second time around, very cute.
I just re organized by pantry and i love your use of this shelf!

Get Nestled In said...

Hi Diane! I think I may be off the theme. :( I just realized it after linking. But, I love the way you used your shelf!

Robin Ange said...

Amazing what a little spray paint can do! Love this! You have to link this to my Upcycled Awesome Linky party at http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled10

Jeanne said...

Hi Diane, thinking of you today.

Enjoy your day.
Hugs, Jeanne

xinex said...

Great use for it, Diane, looks pretty too...Christine

B said...

what a handy shelf! I need one!