Monday, January 24, 2011

2nd Time Around: Exciting new use for some of the junk I’ve been hoarding!

Welcome to 2nd Time Around. Please join us by linking a post that features something that is a 2nd Time Around to you…something from a garage sale, flea market, thrift store, estate sale, etc. Please link your post rather than your blog, and link back to this blog. Thank you for participating.


Last January I started my second booth at an area Flea Market and Antique shop. Around March, another vendor asked me if I was interested in buying her entire lot of vintage jewelry. I knew absolutely nothing about vintage jewelry at the time, but she gave me a crash course and I decided to buy it-locked case and all for $100. I immediately sold the locked case for $50 because I planned on selling the jewelry online in my Etsy shop.


Since that time, I can not stop buying vintage jewelry! I look for it everywhere----other flea markets, garage sales, thrift stores and Ebay! Later I added some jewelry to my first antique booth, then the second, and most recently this week---a new booth in a new mini mall! My friend Karen is doing this one with me and we have decided to sell both vintage and new jewelry.

The booth is still a work in progress, but here are some pictures of it-all decorated with 2nd Time Around stuff!

First, the pink glass pane door ended up serving as the inspiration. We really didn’t have much of a plan when we decided to do this, but we wanted to try to use things we already had. I did purchase this door from the lady that owns the antique mall where I have my first booth for $12! I had a rusty gate in my booth that I went to get, saw the door, and decided to use it instead. And this door has worked out much better! The lace curtains were purchased on a trip this past week to Tuscaloosa after I visited my student teachers. I always try to find a little time to shop the ‘junk’ stores while working and bought enough to line the 5 by 10 foot booth all the way around-all for $4.00!

And I might add, bought some great jewelry really cheap!

IMG_8755

The pink shuttered door came out of my sisters house. It had laid in her basement for years-until I started all this. The rug was a thrift store purchase that I pulled from my back porch, the animal print bulletin board was either a garage sale of thrift store purchase-been hoarding it so long I can’t remember- and the cute little bear was a reject of Connor or Cooper!

IMG_8764

The little mink coat is doll size, and something I’ve been hanging onto for awhile. It was part of the stock of an old drugstore in our hometown that carried a line of dolls and doll cloths. It is a little too tight for the bear, so we just draped it over her lap!

IMG_8754

The big purchase was this huge lighted showcase bought from a vendor at antique mall number 2! We paid him $150 for it, and then had to pay $40 to have it moved. We’ve already had some interest in it-but it’s not for sale at this time.

IMG_8760

The pink valance was another thrift store find that we jerked down from booth number 2! It looks much better here! The table was a junk store find, and the black fabric as another thrift store find that I’ve hung on too. The vintage mirrors were garage sale or thrift store finds. I have bought some of them to sell on Etsy, but they are much more useful in the jewelry booth! The little wicker table was another thing I’ve hung onto…purchased at the Antique Alley sale last May!

IMG_8763

And finally for something new….here’s a picture of one of the new jewelry pieces!

IMG_8761

The jewelry is a little sparse even though Karen and I have plenty more jewelry to price! (I’ve been hoarding that too!)

So, this is one time that the stuff I’ve been hoarding had come in handy!

Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

bj said...

This all looks great..

Jeanne said...

WOW! Diane, I would love to shop in your booth. I love how you set it up and I love what you buy. Good luck with your 2nd booth my friend. I know you love doing this, I remember how much I loved this business. I still do but I am happy to be retired. Now I just shop for the fun of the hunt.
Hugs, Jeanne

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love the way you set your booth up Diane. The door is a wonderful way to display necklaces and bracelets. My daughter likes antique jewelry and has bought many pretty pieces in her travels. I'll have to send her your ETSY link.

Hope my entry to STA is ok --the restuarant I show on my blog hangs the same decoations year after year!

♥ Pat

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Your booth looks amazing!! And I love that you put it together on a budget. Plus having a jewelry booth means something else fun for you to thrift for. :-)

I had to add a link to my Mrs. Johnson. It really is the best two bucks I've ever spent! (I should have mentioned in my post that someone offered me $20 for her when I was on line to pay. Really!) And you're right...stuff is cheaper in NY/NJ than you would think...but I spend a LOT of time "honing my craft," if you will, lol! There are many expensive duds out there.

Amanda Lee said...

Thank you for hosting this link up! I adore vintage jewelry, too. I've linked up a bedroom "second time around" project from our beach house renovation.
~Amanda

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I've been collecting vintage jewelry - along with waaay too many other things - for years. Recently, hubby and I decided to try our hand at creating jewelry from repurposed pieces. Come take a look at the first attempt. ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Grannys Attic said...

OMG Diane its is beautiful. Love all the Pink and you sure know how to find a deal! Thanks for sharing the shop and all the pretty things in it. Would love to come shop there someday. Blessings, Vicky

Denise said...

Love the last piece. It's my favorite.

Mandy said...

Just viewing your blog for the first time....fun!
Mandy

Jeanne said...

Hi Diane I just linked up to your last weeks post. Silly me. When I looked at your post closer I realized you haven't posted today. LOL.

I'll check back with you later.
Hugs, Jeanne