Monday, November 14, 2011

2nd Time Around: An Inherited Cabinet


Welcome to 2nd Time Around. Please join us by linking a post that features something that is a 2nd Time Around to you…something from a garage sale, flea market, thrift store, estate sale, etc. Please link your post rather than your blog, and link back to this blog. Thank you for participating.

Recently, my mother in law passed away. She had been at an assisted living apartment for several years, and had already sold many of her household items so there was not much furniture left to sell or divide.

My husband had always liked this cabinet, and wanted to make room for it. I had barrister bookcases in this corner, and have moved them somewhere else.
I wasn’t sure I would like the piece in our living room, but plan to use it as a curio cabinet or bookcase.  As it turned out, I’m very pleased with how well the piece fit in our room. It is a perfect fit for this corner, and gives us lots of extra space. And, the cabinet is a sweet reminder of my mother in law!

This will be our first holiday season without her, and she will be missed! She died one day before her 90th birthday! We are thankful  that she did not suffer for long, and was able to stay in her small assisted living apartment rather than go to the nursing home.

IMG_1305 IMG_1306
Thank you for coming by, and please add your link to Mr. Linky below!

7 comments:

The Charm of Home said...

Diane,
Your cabinet is gorgeous! Love pieces like this, so useful. Thanks for hosting!
Sherry

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thanks for hosting. Love your framed chalkboards. What a beautiful piece of furniture to remind you of your mother-in-law. Your routines will be changing now and you will be making your new reality. That's what I tell my Dad (who is 91) when each life change hits him. I am so proud of him because he is bending like a reed and snapping back up with every curve.
- Joy

Unknown said...

Lovely cabinet, it is great to have pieces like that. I don't care what the organizer people say, sometimes it brings comfort to have things like that passed down from family members. Love those chalkboards too!

Rebekah Greiman said...

Thanks for once more for hosting another party! I linked up two projects-My Delectable Split Pea Soup and my DIY Spinning Composter Video. Hope that's ok! Thanks again for the party!!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Thanks for hosting this lovely linky party. What a lovely cabinet!

Jeanne said...

Hi Diane, I love your lovely furniture that belonged to your MIL. It looks great where you put it as well.

Happy days to you and yours.
Hugs, Jeanne

Doni said...

Hi Dianne,
That is a very sweet cabinet, and one I'm sure will be cherished by your family. It's so hard to loose a loved one, regardless of age, but so much better to know they didn't suffer. I hope your holidays are sweet and that memories will warm your hearts as y'all continue to heal.
Blessings, Doni