Friday, March 27, 2009

Pink Saturday and a NYC Store

Today is Pink Saturday! This event is hosted by Beverly of How Sweet the Sound. Pink Saturday is one of the first blogging events I became involved with and one that has grown the most! Be sure to drop by and visit the participants in Pink Saturday. You can find the list on Beverly's blog.


Everywhere I go I look for pink to feature on my pink Sat. posts. I have run out of pink around here a long time ago so I try to look for it everywhere else!

This picture was made on March 17th in Lower Manhatten. You can see my friend Janet and Pat from Brooklyn walking ahead of me. I just had to stop and and snap this picture of this store with the pink flag. Janet or Pat didn't know I stopped to take a picture. Pat would have known exactly what I was doing, and Janet would have thought I was nuts!


Later I researched the name 'Thomas Pink' and found out what the store was. Click here to read about it.



This may seem insignificant to most of you, and at one time would have been to me too. But I have enjoyed participating in Pink Saturday, and have learned alot by doing creating Pink Saturday Posts,including this information about Thomas Pink. I thought the name referred to a person, but found out otherwise.

Our history

Pink was set up in 1984 by three Irish brothers – James, Peter and John Mullen. Their idea was to reinvent the traditional Jermyn Street shirt, taking it to a wider, aspirational audience. The brand name Thomas Pink came from an 18th century London tailor known for making sought-after red hunting jackets. If you were lucky enough to own one, you were said to be ‘in the pink’.

Our first store opened in Chelsea, London, offering classic-cut shirts in stylish, bold weaves and colors. Further stores soon followed in the West End and City of London, their distinctive interiors, pink-and-black packaging, and much-admired shirts quickly attracting a loyal clientele.


Thanks for visiting and hope you have a great Pink Saturday!

39 comments:

Kris said...

happy PS

Love the storefront and the pink flag. Like you I've run out of pink in my home to showcase so I'm constantly looking everywhere for creative pink post. I wanted to comment before checking out the link to the store. From the description you gave I'm not sure it's a store I could afford to shop, but I still like the name.

Have a happy day

Kris

Deanna said...

Hi Diane,
What a wonderful building and how fitting that it had a lovely pink flag! Loved the information you supplied about it.

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*´¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ Happy Pink Saturday Deanna

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bo said...

Hi Diane...You've developed a good eye for "pink"...I've always heard the expression 'in the pink' but just assumed it meant good health.
Have a lovely weekend, ;-) Bo

Linda said...

Very interesting post! Happy Pink saturday!

Linda

SmilingSally said...

Look at that! I never knew where "in the pink" came from. Thanks for teaching me. Have a good Pink Saturday.

Anonymous said...

I am starting to see pink wherever I go. its catching. Great building

Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

This is great info, love your post!


~ Gabriela ~

Samantha said...

What a lovely Pink Post, thanks for sharing. Have a very blessed PINK Sat!

Sandra said...

It's nice to see Pink outside of our homes and to see how many ways it's used. Happy Pink Saturday.

♥Mimi♥ said...

Wow, Pink Saturday and a little education, too! How cool. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what you come up with next week.

Short and Sweet said...

Thank you for the history...I never knew about this or the origin of the saying, "in the pink". Nicely done.
Loretta

nikkicrumpet said...

I love finding out where the origins of common statements come from. I had no idea about that one. Thanks for the fun info.

Char said...

You are my second post and I have already learned something interesting. Thankyou for the history and Happy Pink Saturday, I hope you had a great time out with your friends, Char

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Happy Pink Saturday! What an interesting post! Thanks for the info. Have a lovely weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

I loved learning about the Thomas Pink shirts!!!! Fabulous post, excellent read and fun photo!!!! Did you buy anything?

bj said...

Thanks for this great photo..I did a posting not long ago about their shirts and you would be surprised how many emails I received that said these shirts were all their hubbys would wear..They must be pretty nice!
xo bj

Connie said...

Yep, love the flag, honey. Now I'm going to read more about the man behind it, chick!!!
LOL
xoxo,
Connie

xinex said...

I like how the pink flag shows against the old building. Have a nice weekend, Diane!...Christine

Elaine said...

What I wanrt to know is... did you go inside the store and buy anything? Love the Pink flag and the store's history.

Anonymous said...

What a neat lesson in history...I've never even heard of this store. I love that pink flag and the entrance from the street. Tres chic!!

Happy Pink Saturday.

Kris

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

great post! Happy Pink Saturday ~ Susan

Claudia said...

I've seen that store! Perfect idea for Pink Saturday!

. said...

Oh love that photo. Happy pink day. Please visit my pink post at thevintagejournal.blogspot.com

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

What a wonderful story!!!! Thank you for sharing it with us!

That building is just beautiful! I love old buildings, they have such stature!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Jil

Chandy said...

What a great story! I love the pink banner, too!

Anonymous said...

I got my spring-swap in a Pink - shoebox last week. I was totally in love with it...so pretty! Your post is such good timing !

Happy Pink Saturday!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Diane!
Nice shot! Wow --my hiar was curly that day ..lol!
I never knew the history behind the Pink stores -- very interesting! My husband has a few of their shirts.
Hugs, Pat

Betzie said...

Wow, I sure would love to own one of those hunting jackets! I'd be "in the pink!" :)) Interesting post, thanks for sharing and nice to meet you!

Tardevil said...

You lucky duck, being in NYC on St. Patty's day! Hope you had fun! Thanks for your nice comments on my blog. I was shocked at first, but I'm getting excited. It will be fun! I just hope he/she sleeps better than my first one did! I'm too old for that.

RobinfromCA said...

I love this pink post and learning something new and interesting!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Robin@Miscellaneous Thoughts

said...

That's a gorgeous photo, Diane, and interesting text to accompany it!

Margie said...

I love the *pink* flag and reading about the history of the store! That was very interesting!

Have a lovely *pink* weekend!
Margie :)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Hahaha...you can't get much more pink than a "Pink" flag! :-)

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Thanks for a little pink history.. cool post!

jeanne said...

Hi Diane, I love your history of the tailor Thomas Pink. In the Pink meant something good. that hasn't changed much. In the pink is still something good. Smile. Love the pink Flag.

Have a great weekend.

Hugs...Jeanne

Gossamer Creations said...

I love your post and the pink flag.Happy Pink Saturday,
~Sue~

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Neat story, Diane! Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lisa said...

Thanks for the info! What a great Pink Sat. contrubtion!
Hugs! Lisa