Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tiles for America

download

Sally at Smiling Sally is hosting Blue Monday. Please visit visit her for more Blue Monday posts.

On one of my recent trips to New York I came across these ceramic tiles that were displayed on a fence near Greenwich Village.

This monument, Tiles For America, is on the corner of 11th Street and 7th Avenue and you can read more about it by clicking here.

DSC03225

This one was especially moving to me. I remember where I was that day as I’m sure most of you do. While in New York City, I couldn’t help but wonder what it would have been like to have been there the day this horrible event occurred. Can you imagine what it must have felt like? I remember the fear that I felt, and I was a long way from NYC!

DSC03228

I tried to explain to Pat from Milli Fiori Favoriti where this memorial was, and she had not heard about it, or either I didn’t do too great of a job of explaining it! So, Pat, now you know. It was not far at all from where we walked that day!

DSC03226

DSC03229

The tiles were created by people from all around the world and all walks of life…children, seniors, churches, etc. To find a studio near you click here.

If you are ever in New York City, please try to see this memorial! It was a very moving experience for me!

This video is from the Tiles for America website:

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Hope you have a great Monday!

Jackson 005

Be sure to join me tomorrow for 2nd Time Around-A great place to showcase your garage sale, thrift store, antiques, or heirlooms!

Diane

21 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Diane! What a neat, neat, NEAT post! I loved seeing these tiles. Thanks for the great photo review of them!

Happy Blue Monday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Bo said...

Hi Diane...This must have been a stirring sight...it certainly is in your photos. May we never forget! ;-) Bo

Magnolia Memories08 said...

Diane I can only guess the feeling that you had after seeing this. It is so touching for me to see threw your post. Thanks for sharing this today.
Have a great week..
Vikki

SmilingSally said...

Good job, Diane. The video showed so many tiles. I kept thinking, "Oh, I like that one better!" I guess my favorite would be the angel with 9/11 painted on the white. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Tink *~*~* said...

It was pretty scary to be a New Yorker that day. I try not to think about it any more.

Tink *~*~*
Colorful birds from Orlando, Florida

bj said...

This is the BEST blue post, Diane.
I have never heard about this before. Just amazing.
Here is hoping we NEVER EVER forget that day...it should be kept alive in our minds and hearts and pray daily that it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN. I think the film should be shown once a year and everyone watch it so that everyone will remember why we are fighting. I get so frustrated when I hear people say we are fighting a war for nothing. I can't even imagine thinking like that when I remember 9-11.
Thanks for a magnificent post...
xo bj

April said...

That is so awesome, Diane! Thank you for bringing it to our attention...may we never forget!

Joanna said...

I had never heard of this. Thank you for sharing it! What a neat post!!

Darlene said...

That is soooo beautiful and such a neat post. Thanks for sharing it.♥

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This was such a wonderful post Diane!
There are many, many, 911 memorials throughout NYC as it is a day we will never forget. Many innocent and brave people were lost that day to an act of hatred, and they are remembered in memorials in their communities.
The Tiles for America is so touching.

I watched the video and the tile that began "the sky was so blue that day" was so poignant as that is how every New Yorker begins the story of where they were on 911. It was one of those beautiful "end of summer" days, and the sky was so remarkably blue..the type of day which makes a person feel so happy.....we didn't know it would end with such a horrible tragedy. Hatred in any form is wrong. We all have to learn to live on this planet in peace.
I'll definitely visit this memorial the next time I am in Greenwich Village!
Thanks so much
Hugs, Pat

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you how much I like this post not just for BM but to honor those involved there on a day when we are not asked to. Very cool post!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Diane,
A fabulous post! Thank you for sharing a wonderful tribute. We Canadians still feel deeply, the loss on September 11th ourselves. It's a small world! Have a wonderful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Lynda said...

What an interesting and informative post, Diane! I had not heard of this memorial. I sent one of the photos you posted to my SIL who is a fire fighter, along with the link. Thanks for sharing!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Isn't that such a cool tribute? It went up very, very shortly after 9/11 and I thought it would be one of the (many) transient memorials in the city at the time. I'm so pleased to see it still very much intact. There's something about it...that I find very inspiring. Maybe because the city rebuilt mentally and physically one tile at a time...

Glad you found it on your travels!

xinex said...

I can imagine how you felt reading all those tiles. I stated watching a documentary CD about 9-11. I could not finish it because I got emotional and started crying...Christine

Picket said...

Diane this is a great post...I will never forget that day...It is still to emotional to even think about...Happy Blue Monday sweetie!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Amazing pieces of art! And with such sentiment attached too.
Brenda

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Diane, this was a great post. It was very moving for me to just see pictures of this, so I can only imagine how it was to be there. laurie

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. I didn't know about it and we might have to visit the site next time we're in New York.

~Kim

Kris said...

Diane, thanks for sharing this post. I had not heard of this memorial. I'm going to check out the link now.

Have a happy day

Kris

Unknown said...

I'm very late w/ my Blue Monday visits this week! I had not heard about the tiles before. Thanks for sharing, Diane.