Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hot Roast Beef Party Sandwiches

Here's a recipe that I made over the holidays for one of our gatherings. It is easy and tasty! This would make a great addition to a New Year's Eve gathering. The picture and recipe are both from the Southern Living website.


Prep: 20 min., Cook: 6 min., Bake: 25 min. This is an updated version of a recipe that used ham, cheese, and mustard. Eyes lit up at our tasting table when these came out of the oven.

Yield

Makes 12 to 16 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 2 (9.25-oz.) packages dinner rolls
  • 2/3 cup peach preserves
  • 1/2 cup mustard-mayonnaise blend
  • 3/4 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef, chopped
  • 1/2 pound thinly sliced Havarti cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste (optional)

Preparation

1. Heat walnuts in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly toasted.

2. Remove rolls from packages. (Do not separate rolls.) Cut rolls in half horizontally, creating 1 top and 1 bottom per package. Spread preserves on cut sides of top of rolls; sprinkle with walnuts. Spread mustard-mayonnaise blend on cut sides of bottom of rolls; top with beef and cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Cover with top halves of rolls, preserves sides down, and wrap in aluminum foil.

3. Bake at 325° for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice into individual sandwiches.

Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator, and bake as directed in Step 3. For testing purposes only, we used Rainbo Dinner Time Rolls, Hellmann's Dijonnaise Mustard, and Boar's Head Londonport Top Round Seasoned Roast Beef.

15 comments:

Beth at Aunties said...

Diane,

These look so yummy! I hadn't thought of putting the perservesa and nuts on the roll,

We just enjoyed warm ham and Havartti cheese sandwiches last night. Thanks for the recipe!

ksarra said...

Yum, this looks delicious. On New Years Day, my Momma always cooks black eyed peas, cabbage and pork roast. I can hardly wait! Hope YOUR New Year is a blessed one!

Lorrie said...

Oh Diane, these look and sound so delicious and easy. Thank you for sharing them. I definitely want to try them.

Magnolia Memories08 said...

Diane those look wonderful
I know everyone enjoyed!!!
I love your background. Our
little angels.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, YUM, Diane! I want to try these! Looks delicious!

Thank you for sharing. :-)

XO,

Sheila

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh this looks delicious. A definite recipe to try..thanks for sharing..hugs ~lynne~

Sue said...

These sound so DELICIOUS! I am adding this recipe to my collection and will try them at my next event! Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Darlene said...

Hi Diane,

Those sound delicious! I think we will have to try them...thanks!

Georgia Girl said...

Yummy! I want one now....

Awhh...your babies are such cuties!

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,
It seems I never get over here! That recipe looks great. I think we will try it. Hope you have a great New Year,
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Diane, this recipe sounds delicious. No Boar's Head meats here. I miss the fine grocery stores so much. Anyway I will find some nice roast beef. this will be our New Years dish. I will use the foil to keep the sandwiches soft. Mmmmmm I can't wait to taste them.

Thanks for sharing Diane. Have a great day.

I love your header with Connor and Cooper. I am changing my header too. Everyone thinks my sister's house is mine. She is my backyard neighbor so I used her house. I hope it will be up in a couple of days. Beverly and Dawn are helping me. Typepad is not easy!!!

Hugs...Jeanne

Shell in your Pocket said...

Those sandwiches look wonderful and yummy!
-sandy toes

SmilingSally said...

Yum, that would be good with the nuts in it.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

This looks REALLY good! I love your picture on the banner :)

Anonymous said...

I'LL HAVE TO MAKE THIS.IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS YUMMY.THANK YOU..ANN