Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Tales" of a can of spray paint on Show and Tell Friday

Since I started blogging in May, I have gotten so many ideas from looking at before and after projects on different blogs. Also, I started going to garage sales again!

This tale starts with this vase I picked up at a yard sale. Have you ever bought something at a sale, and then wondered 'what was I thinking'???

That's exactly what happened after I bought this tall urn or vase (??) recently. It laid in my garage for about 3 weeks rejected and sad...once again! I finally decided to do something with it or just chalk it up to experience and toss it out.

So, like I said, reading blogs has been a source of inspiration. I picked up this can of spray paint at Lowes. The color is 'oil rubbed bronze.' I thought that sounded so pretty!And...here is my first finished project. It turned out more black than bronze...I think the name on the can is more of a gimmic! I haven't found the perfect faux flowers yet...I'm thinking of sunflowers or something tall and natural. Feel free to offer suggestions!
I think my daughter Kelli at Sassy Southern Mom liked it because she asked me to paint this Southern Living at Home container with the same paint. She picked this up at a garage sale for $1.oo! I think they were about $20.00 when they first introduced this product. Once again, here's the finished product photographed on my porch with my faux greenery. I can't wait to see what she does with it at her house. It will look great on her porch or front door. She will have it decked out much better than I have!
Do you remember all the hunter green stuff that was so popular a few years ago? This is one of Kelli's rejects that I've had for a while...the can wasn't empty yet so I thought why not?Here's that finished product! It looks more updated in black for sure. Connor helped with this one!The paint is not quite gone...so I'm on the lookout for my next victim, err...I mean project! What about this flower pot???
Kelli at There's No Place Like Home is hosting Show and Tell Friday. Stop by her blog for other Show and Tells!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day,


Diane

22 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I think that is such a great idea and gives the items a totally different look. I will have to try it!

Kathy said...

I have a garage and a basement full of those "what was I thinking" items! You gave me incentive to make a silk purse out of a sows ear!
Kathy

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Everything turned out great! I think sunflowers would look wonderful in the first tall vase! Don't ya just love painting things and making them new again?
Penny

Missy Wertz said...

Oh nice! Hey, I have a whole set of that hunter green stuff on my deck that needs repainting.... ;-)

You did a great job! Don't you just love blogs!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I love the color of the paint! Everything turned out beautiful, it's like the energizer bunny, it keeps going and going, you definitely got your money's worth out of that can of paint!

Have a Fantastic Friday!
Kathi :)

Charlotte said...

Wow! I love that color. I may have to make a trip to Lowes. I think I have quite a few things that could use a face lift. Thanks for sharing.

The Berry's Patch said...

Wow Diane you have been busy. They all look fantastic. Hmmmm I need to pick up some black paint and go around my house looking for rejects. I have a few things that need updating.

Anonymous said...

You're really going to town with that spray paint!! It all looks great! It's nice to know it works so well. Now I am going to be tempted to look for something to spray...

I'd leave that last little one a lighter color, though, so you could see the design.

This post reminded me that I have one of those Southern Living containers that I meant to get out this summer.

Anne Fannie said...

What a great idea. It gives them all a new life! Thanks for sharing.
Love, Ann

Carrie said...

What a great transformation of those items with one can of paint!

PAT said...

Diane, your projects turned out wonderfully well. A can of spray paint is a great way to update things without breaking the bank!
Perhaps some tall curly willow in your pretty "new" urn.

Have a great weekend!
Pat

Hootin Anni said...

This all turned out so wonderful. Your eye for the 'artistic' shows. You've done a fabulous job on all the projects.

My Show n Tell is now posted. Hope you can stop by for a visit. Have a glorious Friday.

Anonymous said...

Diane, talk about getting ideas, I have one of those metal plant holders as well. Guess what I am going to do with it. Your paint projects are impressive. The vase looks fabulous. I think anything tall will look good in the vase. Try something natural.
Buy a couple of things and take what you don't use back. Smile. Nice job!

Jeanne

Gone said...

WOW!! Job well done!!!

I spray-painted a pair of lamps a year or so ago...and they look beautiful!! They're definitely "keepers"!

I have plenty to refurbish.

~Blessings,
Jan

Picket said...

Wow girl! You gotta love a can of black spray paint! Everything turned out great and it just gave all those pieces a new life and I think made them look so rich and pretty!

Blogger said...

I have that same Southern Living wall pocket and it hangs outside on my front porch...and the paint is starting to chip...so I bet I will be copying your idea very soon...I <3 spray paint!

Bella:)

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing what you can do with a can of spray paint!!!
Susan

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Diane, enjoyed your spray painting...very inspiring! I have a few things, I need to update with paint. Hope you have a great weekend. Nancy

Anonymous said...

ooooh Diane I can't believe i missed this post yesterday, I love a good paint makeover post haha! well I love how the urn turned out even if it isn't totally bronze - i did exactly the same thing, I bought a sea green urn/vasey thing from the thrift store, it's big and was 10 dollars, revolting colour, anyway I made it white and now it is sitting there waiting for me to find something to fill it with...

that green turned out really well in the black too, love the power of paint lol! and I would definitely go over the planter, I bet that will look gorgeous, isn't it amazing how fun this is!!!

Sarah

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

These are great makeovers! You're inspiring me to paint a few things around my house now. -Julia

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Wow! Great way to spruce up things! Your things look and turned out so nice!
Blessings to You!
Claudia O.

Kelli said...

What a wonderful idea! I really love the greenery, especially the asparagus fern. Sunflowers would be pretty, too!
~Kelli