Monday, June 16, 2008

My Favorite Things

Last week I was tagged by Rhondi at Rose Colored Glasses to post 5 of my favorite things. This was hard for me...I have lots of 'favorite' things! So, I decided to approach it from Favorite Things at Home! Here they are in no particular order:

1. My screened porch: This was added to our home two years ago. When we bought our house, there was an ugly deck that had been painted red (I guess to look like redwood). As soon as we could afford it, we had it torn down and added our porch. We love to sit out there to relax, and eat lots of our meals there.

2. My computer area: This is where I spend a lot of time. I am not a TV person, so playing around on the computer with pictures, etc. is relaxation for me. The desk was really purchased for a larger room at our other house. I would like to someday replace it...maybe have a computer area built into cabinets.
3. Antique Furniture: I have several pieces of antique furniture that I've collected throughout the years. I am usually attracted to the oak pieces. This sideboard is one of the first oak pieces I bought. It was in pretty rough condition, and we had it refinished.
4. My Vintage China: This was given to me over 35 years ago by my aunt. At that time she was an antique dealer and went to estate sales often. This pattern has tiny violets on it. I've not been able to identify the pattern...the only markings on it are a few numbers. It is a complete set of 12, with lots of pretty serving pieces.
5. My flowers: I love any and all flowers...especially container gardens. These are a few of my containers at the end of the front walk way.
And now I'll tag 5 of my favorite blogs: (in no particular order...these were some of the first blogs I visited, and helped to get me hooked!)

One of the first blogs I visited was Janie's. She is a very sweet classy lady from Mississippi: http://southernlagniappe.blogspot.com/

Dawn is a teacher, and of course having been one for quite a while, I'm a little partial to teachers: http://dawnsdaybreak.blogspot.com/

Mandye is a young mother...I love to read her perspective on life. She is very mature for her years! http://flowersfamilyfun.blogspot.com


Pat, a very friendly lady...you'll love her pictures!http://backporchmusings.blogspot.com/


And last but not certainly not least:
Rhoda from Alabama. You will love the pictures and stories she posts of antique shopping, decorating, etc. Checking out her list of blogs will surely keep you busy!
http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

Dawn said...

You have some beautiful favorite things there. I am partial to antique oak furniture myself. I don't have any but years I go I dated someone who bought/collected lots of antiques. I always admired the furniture.

Thanks for the tag! If you don't mind I will do mine after school ends. Thursday is my last day!!!!!!

take care,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I love all of your favorite things. They are each beautiful. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Great post! I love the sideboard! It is gorgeous!

Thank you for the sweet compliments on my flower post!

Hugs, Rhonda ;)

Deb said...

Hi Diane
Thankyou for visiting my blog. Your screened porch is gorgeous - I can see why it is one of your favourite things. I enjoyed reading your 5 favourite things tag & your photos.

Tootsie said...

I enjoyed your favorite things! You have many favorites in common with me! I am glad you stopped in this morning....I now have a new friend and a great new blog to browse!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Your patio is so pretty & restful looking....like a great spot for some relaxation.

The sideboard is stunning. I have an oak sideboard in my guest room but not as ornate as that one. Very pretty.
Thanks for sharing your favorite things, Hugs, DebraK

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Diane, thanks for thinking of me. I'll try to fit this in somewhere in the next week or so. I'm sure I can come up with 5 favorite things!

Rhoda

mommyholly said...

Love that piece with your computer on it! So beautiful:) And glad you are joining us for the "vacation"!! :) xo!

Rue said...

Hi Diane :)

It's great to learn more about you. I have a passion for antiques myself :)

rue

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Diane, your home is beautiful! Your screened porch looks so inviting. I love my computer more than my TV too :-) I'm looking forward to visiting the blogs you mentioned.

Thanks so much for entering my blog give away and for your nice comment!

Hugs, Pat

Dawn said...

I just wanted to say thank you for your good thoughts today for Jack. He did just fine and both he and his mom are doing fine!

take care,
Dawn

Sugarplum Cottage said...

Your home is lovely, and I'm crazy about screened porches. I can see you love the Victorian/Cottage decor, also. What a great way to describe your favorites, with pictures. Hugs, RoseMarie

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

Your home is just stunning!!! Love all of your favorite things. :)

Michelle said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by! I love your favorite things too.. I could spend a lot of time on that patio!

Michelle

Anne Fannie said...

What great pictures! I really love your screened porch. Here in California no one has that! Very lovely! I also really like those dishes with the purple flowers.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh! I'm totally in love with your porch. I'm sooo jealous. It's lovely! -Julia :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,

Thanks for viewing my blog and leaving your comments!!!

This is my 1st time here, too! Nice to meet you.

I love your screen porch and oak sideboard!!! They're gorgeous. The porch looks like the perfect place to sit and sip a cup of tea.

Your violet China pattern...if you give me the identifying numbers (or any other symbols or info) on the bottom, (even email me a picture of the bottom) I could perhaps help you with further information about it!! I'm a collector and seller of china.

~Blessings,
Jan

Rhondi said...

I love your favorite things. Thanks for playing along! Hope you had a good weekend.
Hugs, Rhondi

Anonymous said...

Can I come to your house?? You have the most beautiful antiques. I'm just starting collecting, and a pretty limited budget. I try to buy everything for under $100. I would just drool over the pieces I've seen in your blog!
Blessings,
Libby

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.